For anyone who is willing to take wrestling seriously, one of the most daunting tasks includes finding the most suitable equipment for your needs.
Wrestling gears could vary depending upon certain factors such as your budget and your skills at this sport. With so many online brands, it becomes almost impossible to come up with the right product for yourself.
This same scenario applies to wrestling headgear as well. Wrestling headgears are undoubtedly one of the most essential equipment if your wrestling passion is a bit more than just a hobby.
Since it’s not an easy task for you to find the most suitable equipment online, we’ve made this step easier for you by filtering out the 10 best selling wrestling headgears along with their specifications.
Top-rated Wrestling Headgear Reviews
If the budget is one of the foremost concerns for you, ASICS aggressor Ear guard is probably one of the most suitable options to fulfill all your needs.
Not only it will perform the job as expected, but it will also perform in a very cost-efficient way. Instead of targeting pro and experienced wrestlers, ASICS is targeting the users who’re just getting started in this field.
That being said, this product may not be suitable for rough use. This ear guard could be used by anyone over 10 years of age.
As for its overall quality, the sides may not be as strong as one would expect. The clear reason behind this issue is the fact that this product is built for moderate use.
However, this ear guard also offers thicker straps and larger ear guards, which totally make up for its cons.
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Thick straps and larger ear guards
- Not suitable for rough use
- Ear guards are not as strong as one would expect
- Poor quality chin strap
Cliff Keen F5 is another affordable option for beginners. Aside from its quality, this product has a wide range of extra features to offer.
Some of these features include Air vent system, Ultra-deep ear cups, Better audible sound technology, and Power tab on-the-fly system. In addition to this, Cliff Keen headgear is pretty easy to adjust in seconds.
The design of this product is based on NASA research, which is one of the most trusted names in the world of wrestling. Moving on to its quality, the outer layer of Cliff Keen F5 is made up of strong plastic while the inner portion consists of foam in order to provide a comfortable experience.
As mentioned above, Cliff Keen is basically targeting the beginners for this product so it’s not an ideal option for rough use. Moreover, adult wrestlers may experience difficulty to fit their heads as Cliff Keen F5 Tornado is only recommended for children and teens.
- The outer layer is made up of high-quality plastic
- Comes with a wide range of features
- Easy to adjust
- Comes in many different colors
- Not an ideal option for rough use
- Adults may experience difficulty to fit their heads
- Weak chin strap
Related: Best BJJ Groin Protectors
This is another product by ASICS with a slightly higher price tag. However, with its higher price, this ear guard has more features to offer users. One of such unique features is its Anti-microbial technology that will help in getting rid of bacteria.
This ear guard is very light-weighted so you don’t have to worry about dealing with any sort of head and neck pressure during the matches.
As for its quality, it consists of Injection molded LPDE shell and EVA ear pad. Similar to many other wrestling headgears and ear guards on this list, ASICS Conquest comes in 5 different colors.
One important thing to note is that due to its small size, this ear guard is not recommended for adults. Although this product has better quality to offer, it’s still meant to be used moderately. Rough usage may result in damaging the outer shell of this ear guard.
- It comes in 5 different colors.
- Offers better quality as compared to other products on this list.
- Offers Anti-microbial technology which will help in eliminating different kinds of germs and bacteria.
- Easy to adjust
- It is not the most affordable option on this list, but it’ll be well within your budget in most cases.
- Small size – not recommended for adults
- Not recommended for rough use
- It is not the most affordable option on this list.
ASICS unrestrained wrestling ear guard comes in a unique strap design that will manage to give a better look to the user. On top of basic features, this product also has some interesting features to offer. These include Dual-density padding which will make this ear guard easier to fit and ample space on the inside of the ear shell which will protect your ear from getting squeezed.
Similar to many other ear guards on this list, this is also recommended for beginners and is not suitable for rough use. In terms of quality, ASIVS Unrestrained wrestling ear guard has everything to offer that one would expect in this price range.
This may not be a very high-quality ear guard but it’s not that bad either. Just make sure to use it moderately and it’ll definitely last very long.
- This ear guard offers a very unique design.
- It offers enough space between the inside foam and ears, preventing your ears from getting squeezed.
- Good option for beginners
- Easy to fit and adjust
- Apart from its design, this ear guard doesn’t offer any extra set of features.
- Only available in one color.
- Not suitable for rough use.
- Due to its size, this ear guard is not recommended for adults.
Adidas is one of the most well-known brands in the world for its high-quality sports products and accessories and that’s what we can expect from Adidas’ Response ear guard.
What makes this ear guard different for others (in this list) is the fact that it can easily fit all sizes. This includes children, teens and even adults. Adidas Response comes with spacer strap and chin cup, both of which are pretty easy to adjust. Moreover, it’s also lightweight which makes it convenient to adjust in a matter of seconds.
Its lightweight also manages to prevent any sort of pressure on the head and neck. If your main concern is comfort, this is probably the product that you should go for.
As for its quality, it is decent for the price of this ear guard. Although Adidas Response Earguard can fit almost all sizes, it’s still not meant to be used roughly.
- Well-known brand
- Very affordable
- Comes in 11 different colors
- Offers good enough quality for its price
- Light-weighted and easily adjustable
- Suitable for all sizes
- In terms of its features, this product doesn’t offer anything unique
- Not suitable for rough use
Also Read: Best BJJ Mouthguard
This is another headgear by Cliff Keen which comes in 38 different colors. Not only it’s an affordable option for you, but it’s also considered to be one of the best headgear in this price range.
Apart from all the basic features, this headgear features a 4 strap system in order to provide maximum grip and adjustment. This headgear is specifically designed for adults but the size can easily be adjusted to be used by kids.
The outer layer is made up of high-quality plastic while the inner section consists of around a 1-inch thick layer of foam. As mentioned, this headgear is made up of high-quality material which ensures that it will last long.
The best part about Cliff Keen E58 Headgear is that unlike most of the items on this list, this one is designed for rough usage and can be used by intermediate wrestlers without any issue.
Although 4 strap systems would eliminate the need of adjusting your headgear after every few minutes, however, if you still need to adjust it, it won’t take more than a few seconds.
- Affordable option
- 4 strap system to maximum grip
- Designed for rough use
- High-quality materials will ensure its longevity
- One-inch thick foam may not be enough to provide expected comfort.
- Although the size can be adjusted but this headgear may not be the best option for kids
This ear guard comes with a high price tag as compared to other products on this list so this may not be the most suitable option if your main concern is price.
However, the additional features that come along totally make up for its price. Unlike other ear guards that are mostly made up of plastic, this features a Neoprene fabric that offers the desired adjustment and grip.
In addition to this, Venum MMA Ju Jitsu ear guard also offers molded shells that prevent it from hard impacts and rubbing. Moreover, its foam covering works effectively to reduce shock.
In terms of quality, it’s mostly fabric so there’s no chance of damaging it due to strong impacts and for this very reason, this product is recommended if you’re planning to use it roughly. Lastly, this ear guard is more convenient to wash as compared to other products in this range.
- Mostly made up of fabric
- Higher grip and easily adjustable
- Designed for rough use
- Easier to wash
- Effectively reduces shock
- Not available in many colors
- Not available in many different sizes
Also Read: Best Wrestling Kneepads
This headgear is suitable for a wide range of different sports such as wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu BJJ, mixed martial arts MMA, judo, sambo, catch wrestling, luta livre, and submission grappling.
Apart from all the basic features, it offers an antimicrobial cover that will prevent you from bacteria and other germs. In terms of adjustability, it features a thick (and soft) strap that will maximize the overall grip and eliminate the need for re-adjusting the headgear after every few minutes.
As for comfort, the materials covering the ear are soft enough to prevent cauliflower ears. Moreover, there’s ample space between the ears and ear guard which will help your ears from getting squeezed.
Unlike many other headgears, this product is also suitable for machine wash. Adapt Athletics Enhanced Headgear is mostly suitable for adults who are planning to use it roughly. As for kids, the size may be too big to fit them properly.
- Suitable for a wide range of sports
- Features antimicrobial cover
- Provides better adjustability
- More comfort
- High-quality product
- Can be washed in machine
- Suitable for rough use
- Not suitable if your main concern is affordability
- Not recommended for kids
- Only comes in black color
Although this headgear only comes in one size it can easily be adjusted to fit all sizes. In addition to this, the attached straps make it pretty easy to adjust without having to entirely take off the headgear.
One of the best features of Matman Ultrasoft wrestling headgear is that it absorbs excess moisture that could result in irritating you during the fight or training.
In terms of comfort, the inner portion of this headgear is made up of a thick foam layer which reduces the effect of hard punches and prevents cauliflower ears. This headgear also features ultrasoft neoprene which is breathable and antimicrobial, providing you the expected protection from bacteria and germs.
The only downside of this headgear is the price tag, which is a bit more than other products on this list. If price isn’t the main factor for you, then Matman Ultrasoft Wrestling headgear is definitely one of the most suitable options to buy.
- Fits all sizes
- Absorbs excess moisture
- Easy to adjust
- High quality
- Features antimicrobial technology that provides protection from bacteria.
- Not as affordable as other items on this list
This is a beginner level headgear which is designed for kids and teens. Apart from all the basic features, it comes with a removable chin pad that can easily be re-attached in a matter of seconds.
In terms of quality, this headgear is made up of durable materials which will ensure its overall longevity. As we move further to comfort, it consists of a thick foam layer on the inside which will provide protection against strong impacts resulting in cauliflower ears. Since this product is normally recommended for kids and teens, adults may face difficulty to properly fit this headgear.
The best part about KO Sports wrestling headgear is that it also features tiny ear holes that would work great for providing ventilation during your training sessions and enhancing hearing. In terms of price, this product in one of the most affordable options in the market.
- Suitable option if the price is one of the major concerns for you
- High-quality materials used
- Removable chin pad which can be re-attached in seconds
- Features tiny holes for ventilation and enhancing hearing
- Provide protection against strong impacts that results in cauliflower ears
- Not recommended for rough use
- The size may be too small to fit adults
- Only comes in black color
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the most important factors to consider when buying a wrestling head-gears?
In order to buy the most suitable headgear to fit all your needs, make sure to consider these factors:
1. Price: This is probably one of the main concerns for many buyers. Higher price leads to better quality in most cases, and it will also ensure than the headgear would last longer even after using it roughly.
However, if you’re just buying if for occasional use, then there’s no need to pay for higher-priced items. That being said, low-priced items may not include anything except for the basic features.
2. Size: This is definitely the most important factor to consider when buying a headgear however this factor is sometimes overlooked by some buyers.
Headgears come in a wide range of sizes so you need to choose the one that’s most suitable for your needs. Kids, teens, and adults – all have different headgear sizes so you need to choose accordingly.
3. Features: This factor solely depends upon your preference. All headgears offer some basic features however when it comes to extras, you have to choose accordingly. That being said, more features results in a higher price tag.
4. Quality: In order to ensure that the headgear lasts long, it important to buy a high-quality product. Compromising on quality in order to save a few extra bucks is a bad idea and you’ll just be wasting your money.
Therefore, it’s best to go through the review section and read the reviews regarding the quality of the product.
How long does wrestling headgears usually last?
It all depends upon the quality of the product, usage, and storage. A higher-quality product usually lasts longer however rough usage may damage the headgear very quickly.
Before buying, it’s important to make sure that the item is durable enough to withstand strong impacts and if it is recommended to be used roughly. Lastly, the longevity of the product also depends upon how you store it.
Considering these 3 factors and using the headgear accordingly will ensure that it lasts for years to come.
How to wash the headgears?
Each headgear has its own recommended way of washing. Some are suitable for machine wash while others may be suitable for handwashing.
If your headgear consists of removable parts – such as chin pad, its best to remove those before washing or else it may result in damaging the headgear.
Does wrestling headgear prevent cauliflower ear?
Not all headgears are good enough to prevent cauliflower ears. It normally depends upon the thickness of the foam on the inside. The thick layer of foam is very effective for minimizing the effects of a strong impact.
Another factor that may come into play is the gap between the ear and ear guard. More gap will provide better protection against impacts that causes cauliflower ears. In order to make sure, it’s best to take a quick look at the product details before purchasing the headgear.
Headgears are definitely one of the most important accessories to buy if you’re interested to take wrestling seriously. Not only do they provide protection against punches, but they’re also a requirement if you’re playing at a professional level.
In order to buy the most suitable headgear, it’s important to analyze some of the bestselling products and compare them with each other.
Choose the headgear that perfectly fits all your requirements. Lastly, always try to prioritize the quality instead of price.