Boxing is an essential part of the workout regimen for fitness enthusiasts, professional athletes, and bodybuilders. A trial study published in the 2015 BMC Sports Science, Medicine, and Rehabilitation journal finds that boxing reduces obesity and improves cardiovascular health. It also enhances vitality, general health, and physical functioning.
For most people, having gym equipment within home may not be feasible due to space constraints, convenience, and noise factors. When you plan to have an outdoor gym, you must handpick every piece of equipment to withstand the elements.
In this article, we list the best outdoor punching bags for the year 2021. Our expert panel conducted numerous interviews and poured through hundreds of product and review websites. The collated data helped us arrive at our final list of the top 5 picks.
Our Top 3 Picks:
|Century Wavemaster Freestanding Punching Bag||Boutmaster Freestanding Punching Bag with Stand||Accodone Freestanding Punching Ball|
|Pros|| Sturdy Base
Strong and Durable
| Great Shock Absorbers
|Price||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
5 Best Outdoor Punching Bags:
We now take a detailed look at our top five picks for the best boxing bags for outdoor use.
A wide striking surface and a sturdy base make this product perfect for professional MMA and boxing athletes and fitness enthusiasts. This bag is suitable for all ages, too, making it a versatile outdoor punching bag.
- The first thing you will notice about this free standing boxing bag is its size. With a height of 69 inches and a diameter of 18 inches, this punching bag provides a surface huge enough to practice a wide variety of punches and hits.
- Despite its measurements, the bag is not wobbly and stays in place even with maximum impact punches and blows.
- The low-profile base ensures an even weight distribution, ensuring that the bag doesn’t move even when hit with full force. The base can be filled with sand or water and weighs a total of 270 pounds when loaded to full capacity.
- An extra-wide nozzle at the base allows you to fill water with your standard garden hose conveniently. Most professionals suggest that sand or a mix of sand and rocks is the best material to fill the base, as it provides extra stability to the bag. While this may be true, emptying the punching bag when not in use may be difficult when filled with sand. We recommend water to fill the base if you need to move the equipment into the shade or a storage shed after usage.
- The Century Wavemaster XXL is made of high-density foam with a high-quality double vinyl cover. The materials render durability and are easy to maintain. These, coupled with a sturdy base and an even distribution, make this punching bag extremely durable and capable of taking high-intensity punches with ease.
- Durable and sturdy
- Wide striking surface
- Sturdy base
- Can be moved around easily
- Can take high impact blows
- Easy to fill
- Must be stored in the shade to ensure longevity
- On uneven surfaces, a grid mat may be needed to hold the base in place
The Century Wavemaster XXL is the best option for those looking to buy an extra-large punching bag. It can easily accommodate the professional needs of athletes and bodybuilders. Whether you are planning to train for MMA or work out, this is an excellent option for outdoor boxing practice.
Why did we decide to put this product in number 1 position?
For starters, a renowned company in the field of fitness equipment for over 45 years has produced this product. The punching bag is made with state-of-the-art materials that are durable and easy to maintain. The many positive reviews posted online stand testimony to the product’s excellence.
For these reasons, we choose the Century Wavemaster XXL as the best punching bag for outdoors.
Fitven is a well-known name in the fitness equipment industry and produces state-of-the-art, reasonably priced fitness gear. The Fitven freestanding punching bag is perfect for all types of training needs and is suitable for all age groups. The boxing bag comes with boxing gloves, making this product a complete boxing workout package.
- This outdoor boxing bag stands tall at 70 inches and can be used for boxing practice by the entire family, including kids, teens, and adults. It is a nice piece of equipment to have in your backyard and let off steam, especially on days when you must stay indoors.
- The punching bag comes in two parts — the base and the bag. When filled to the brim, the base weighs nearly 250 pounds, ensuring complete stability to the structure. The 5 mm thick base contains 12 suction cups which help keep the top part fixed.
- The actual bag features a stainless steel tube stand, a fabric buffer, EPE foam, and PU leather. The design and construction prevent wear and tear and make this piece of equipment ideal for outdoor use.
- In-built shock absorbers and springs ensure a fast rebound and shock and noise absorption during high-intensity boxing. You can work out silently without disturbing your family or neighbors. Every material is carefully selected to withstand intense onslaughts, ensure durability and longevity, and allow for intense workout sessions.
- The pricing is quite reasonable when you take into consideration the features offered. The bonus-free boxing gloves are anatomically designed to ensure maximum comfort and grip.
- Durable and reliable
- Suitable for all age groups
- Can take strongest of punches with ease
- Stable and sturdy base
- Great rebounds
- Value for money
- Included boxing gloves
- Hitting surface slightly narrow
- May not be suitable for professionals and athletes.
The Fitven Outdoor stand-alone punching bag is perfect fitness equipment for the entire family. The product has received excellent reviews, with most users hailing the product for its strength and durability. Easy setup is another winning point. It takes up minimum space and is great for basic boxing sessions. Customers are also impressed with the prompt and reliable customer service.
If you are looking to buy boxing equipment for your home use with an emphasis on quality, this product is perfect for you.
The Boutmaster speed bag is an affordably priced piece of gymming equipment. This product by Tech Tools sells quite quickly on sites like Amazon due to its pricing and features. The bag is lightweight, portable, and perfect for indoor and outdoor use.
- The punching ball is inflatable. The equipment base is sturdy and can be filled with 15 pounds of sand or water for stability. The spring-loaded shaft is height adjustable between 48 and 58 inches. The springs allow the bag to bounce back into place after every punch.
- The design and construction are durable. You can set the stand on any surface, including grass and decking. The base stays in place while you punch away.
- Faux leather renders a sleek and stylish look to the speed bag while making it durable. The included punching gloves are well-designed and make the product a total value for money purchase.
- This product is best suited for beginners and intermediate users. If you are looking to buy a basic product that will help you with basic workouts, the Boutmaster Speed bag is perfect for you.
- Extremely affordable
- Light weight
- Gloves included
- Can be placed on any surfaces
- Suitable for teens and adults
- Great for beginner level workouts
- Easily transportable
- Inflatable boxing ball
- Not suitable for high-intensity boxing punches
- Nozzles can sometimes cause leakages
- Base isn’t stable
With this product, you get what you pay for. Reviews have mostly been mixed with some of the users lauding the product for its pricing and usability. The Boutmaster outdoor fitness speed bag is a great economical option to add to your home gym. It can be placed both indoors and outdoors and works effectively for basic workouts and fitness sessions. The included gloves work well.
Height adjustability is a big positive. The whole family can easily use this for beating stress and getting some upper body exercises. The product may not be very durable given its design and pricing. This point must be considered when buying the product.
The outdoor punching bag from Dripex is a wonderful choice for those looking to buy their first professional boxing bag. With affordable pricing and state-of-the-art features, this product features our list of the best outdoor punching bags.
- This product features the typical standalone punching bag design and arrives in two boxes when you order it. It has a height of 69 inches. The lower part or the base can be filled with up to 183 pounds of sand or 137 pounds of water, giving it much-needed stability. The twelve suction cups present below the base add to the stability factor. The setup can stay fixed on any surface.
- The design of the base allows for easy roll relocation. The makers recommend filling the base with sand for increased stability.
- The springs present between the base and the actual boxing bag allow for a full rebound effect when you throw punches. This allows you to practice a wide range of moves and throws. The shock absorbers ensure a silent workout with no disturbance to anyone around.
- The bag is made of an outer layer 2mm thick PU leather, EPE foam, fabric buffers, and an innermost stainless steel tube. The multilayered construction with the steel core ensures durability and strength. The bag can withstand punches of every intensity while ensuring that you get the maximum longevity out of the product.
- This fitness equipment requires minimum installation and is easy to set up and use. If you are between 4 and 6 feet tall, this punching bag is perfect for you.
- Well designed
- Sturdy and stable with suction cups at the base
- Good rebound
- Easily portable
- Can withstand blows well
- Can be placed on any surface
- Best for beginners and regular users
- Great after-sales service
- Easy installation
- Small opening in the base makes it difficult to fill
- Needs to be re-tightened frequently.
Dripex is a perfect product for the entire family, especially teens and young adults. It is durable with excellent shock absorption and spring for an excellent rebound. Durability, stability, pricing, sleek design, and an excellent rebound are among the winning points with most reviewers online.
If you are looking to buy a reasonably priced punching bag for your family’s outdoor use, we highly recommend this product.
The Accodone Outdoor Punching Bag stands at the height of 70 inches and is perfect for teens and adults. The base is wider and has more capacity when compared with other products in the market. This feature makes the product suitable for high-intensity boxing sessions.
- The wide base can accommodate up to 182 pounds of sand or 137 pounds of water, giving the structure excellent stability. The 12 shock absorbers below the base add to the stability factor. While you can fill the base with water or sand, the manufacturers recommend sand for more stability.
- The base can comfortably stand on any smooth surfaces, including outdoors with wooden or tiled floors. The design of the base allows for easy roll relocation.
- The in-built shock absorbing system just above the base reduces vibrations and increases the durability of the product. The thick springs minimize noise and make the overall structure more resilient.
- Anyone with heights between 4 and 6 feet can comfortably use this product for their everyday workouts and boxing practice. This punching bag is excellent for both beginners and professionals.
- The punching bag is durable and resists wear and tear. The outer PU leather coating provides an aesthetic appeal to the boxing bag. It also makes the bag easy to clean and maintain. The inner stainless steel tube ensures longevity, while the EPE foam and fabric buffer provide a comfortable punching surface.
- The included free boxing gloves have many features such as outer PU leather, 10mm thick EVA padding, breathable mesh, a hook and loop closure, and wide straps to accommodate all fist sizes.
- Excellent stability
- Suitable for teens and adults
- High-quality material
- Excellent rebound and shock absorption
- Minimal noise during workouts
- Free included gloves
- Excellent customer service
- May not fit in small places
The Accodone Free standing punching bag is extremely durable and works well for boxing of every intensity. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, you will find this product an excellent investment. The design and construction are of the highest quality making this the perfect choice for long-term use.
Also Related: Best Boxing Equipment for Home Gym
Best Outdoor Punching Bags: Buyers Guide
Punching bags are an excellent way to stay fit and achieve combat skills. Boxing is known to have a positive effect on heart health, bone health, muscle mass, fitness, endurance, moods, sleep cycles, endurance, and hand-eye coordination.
Those in combat sports experience improve physical fitness, punch power, and also enhance offensive and defensive skills as detailed in an article published in the Journal of Physical Education and Sport.
When buying a punching bag for outdoor use you must think of many factors such as the type of the bag, storage area, resistance to the elements such as weather, etc. As with any piece of fitness equipment, research is the key to ensure that you are buying the best product that the budget allows.
Our buying guide lists down the things to consider when buying your next boxing bag for your backyard or garden,
The Types of the Punching Bags:
Freestanding punching bags are standalone boxing units that can be placed anywhere as per convenience. These units are highly preferred for outdoor use since they are usually plug-and-play and do not require special installation. Most of them have suction cups at the base, which allow them to grip well with the surface.
You can place these punching bags on any smooth surface. Filling the base with water adds its stability. If you stay in cold climates, water may not be the best option since it can freeze inside the base.
Most manufacturers recommend that you fill the base with water for greater stability. When you need to transport the equipment, you can simply tilt it and roll. The advantage is that you can store it in a shaded area once you complete your boxing session. This reduces exposure to the elements and improves the longevity of the equipment.
Freestanding bags for outdoor use are available in a couple of different models, all of them being easy to assemble and put away.
Speed Bags with stands are another type of punching bags and the best choice for outdoor use, especially for basic use and kids’ workouts.
These get lower preference over the freestanding ones. These units are lightweight, not very stable, and cannot take high intensity blows. If you have kids and wish to keep them occupied, you can prefer these speed bags. Since they are lightweight, you can easily move them around. But they may not resist wear and tear effectively.
Hanging speed bags are another option but require installation and professional help in some cases. These equipment need brackets, nuts, and bolts to hold them in place. If you stay in a rented or leased property, this may be an issue for you.
The type of material is the key to the durability and longevity of any product. Outdoor equipment must resist heat, moisture, rains, and cold weather. Canvas is the fabric of choice for outdoor fitness equipment. Leather comes a close second and the most commonly used material. When buying punching bags made of leather and faux leather, always ensure to store them in a shade after completing your fitness routine.
Sturdiness is a crucial factor when buying fitness equipment. Look for units made with rust-resistant weatherproof material. Consider models that have excellent shock absorbers and springs. They not only allow for wobble-free workouts but also add to the durability and resilience of the unit. Stainless steel cores are highly durable and ensure that the whole unit stays sturdy and resists strong blows. Suction cups are always a bonus and minimize movements when you are boxing.
Some punching bags are designed for beginners and basic learners, while others cater to professionals and tournament fighters. The specifications change depending on the needs and so does the price. You must buy bags that cater to your level of workouts.
Are you buying this equipment for personal needs or your entire family? Will kids and teens use this product? How tall are they? How many members will use it? All these factors must be considered before finalizing on a model. If you have multiple members using it, you can look to buy height adjustable models. If only kids will be using the punching bag, you can opt for a speed bag with an adjustable stand.
Height and Weight of the Users:
This is an important factor to consider. Different models are available in different sizes to cater to different consumers. You can choose the model that will allow you to deliver full blows with your height and weight.
How many of you have gone through the experience of buying a product and then realizing that it didn’t fit where it was supposed to? This can happen not only to fitness products but any kind of purchases. If planning to place your punching bag in a shed after use, ensure that you take measurements and buy the punching bag accordingly. This will save the hassle of returns and replacements later.
Shipping and Assembly:
Different products have different shipping and delivery policies. Assembly requirements also change. Some products may come almost assembled while other products need some work before you can finally use them. Reading all policies before making the final purchase will help avoid nasty surprises later.
After-Sales-Service and Spare Parts:
Does the product come with after sales service? How is customer service? Are spare parts available in case something goes wrong? Does the company offer guarantees and warranties? You must have an awareness of these factors before buying a punching bag for your backyard or outdoor use.
For many buyers, budget is the most important factor when buying a product. A proper research helps buy the best product within the set budget.
With these factors, you will be able to make an informed decision when buying a punching bag for outdoor use.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Can Punching Bags be left outside?
This will depend on several factors such as the material of the punching bag, the weather conditions such as heat and humidity, and the availability of shade. In short, punching bags cannot always be left outside.
Punching bags made of canvas withstand the elements of nature and are the best choice for outdoor fitness equipment, but you can’t always find them. You can instead opt for bags made of leather or faux leather and store them in a shed, garage or a shaded area after use.
Also look for boxing units made of rust-resistant material if you stay in humid areas.
If you cannot store the punching bags in a shaded area, you can cover them with heavy duty garbage bags or any covers that will protect them from heat, cold, and rain.
Is a Standing Punching Bag better than Hanging?
This is a matter of personal preference, though in most cases users tend to prefer standing bags over hanging ones.
Standing punching bags are easy to install and require minimal maintenance. They usually come in two pieces and require minimum steps before you can start using them.
Hanging bags, on the other hand, may involve multiple installation steps. Installation may involve brackets, screws, and drilling, often requiring outside help from professionals.
On the plus side, hanging punching bags do not require ground space since they remain hanging. Standing bags occupy space and require a fixed area to store them.
Both the models have their own pluses and minuses, and it is up to the user to choose the model that best suits their personal preferences.
How do I protect my Heavy Bag outside?
The best way to protect an outdoor heavy bag is to place it in a covered area such as patio, a shed, or outdoor storage area when not in use.
This especially applies to areas which face extreme climatic conditions. Frequent changes in temperature can cause the material to weaken and get damaged. Fabric material can get faded, musty, and tear at places. Metals can get rusted and ultimately lose their strength.
It may not always be possible to have a storage area for outdoor gym equipment. In such cases, you can keep the bag covered with a heavy duty plastic cover or a garbage bag. This will secure the bag from moisture, heat and quick changes in temperature.
Keeping the heavy bag covered will improve its longevity and durability.
Should I use water or sand to fill the base of my Punching Bag?
This point is debatable. Most manufacturers and professionals opine that filling the base with sand ensures the maximum stability. While this is true, if you have to frequently fill and empty the contents, using sand can make the job tedious.
Water filling and emptying is easier when compared to sand but the stability is lesser. Again if you stay in regions in cold weather, water may not be the right option for you since it can freeze inside the base damaging the unit. Emptying it can also prove a herculean task.
The consensus is that sand is better than water.
Which Punching Bag is the best?
Our team picked Century Wavemaster XXL as the best punching bag for both indoor and outdoor use. The bag is huge and takes a variety of punches of different intensities with ease. It is durable and absorbs shocks well.
This punching bag is an excellent choice for beginners and professionals making it extremely versatile.
If you are looking for something more economical, you can pick the Accodone free standing punching bag. It has an extra wide base for added stability. Additionally, it is durable, has high-quality shock absorbers and springs for excellent rebound and a silent boxing experience.
This model is versatile and is perfect for all levels of boxers and workouts.