Training for sports like Muay Thai, MMA, or BJJ requires multiple gears like gloves, mouth guard, shin guard, and more. Regardless of where you practice, you need a reliable gym bag to carry all your training equipment. But choosing the best gym bag for MMA, BJJ, or Muay Thai from the variety of options available can be a tiresome task.
You cannot just use a regular backpack to store your equipment, as you require specific bags suited for this purpose. Through multiple trials and testing, we’ve curated a list of the best gym bags that you can carry all your gym essentials in without any issues.
Keep reading to make the task of selecting the perfect gym bag for your needs, easier.
Our Top 3 Picks:
|Fairtex Gym Bag Gear Equipment||Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Backpack||Longevity Gear Mesh Bag|
|Pros|| Premium Quality Material
Detachable Shoulder Straps
| Waterproof and Smell-Proof Pouch for Wet & Dirty Clothes
Dedicated Belt Pouch
| The Ventilated Mesh keeps Moisture and Smell at Bay
Sturdy and Strong Nylon Backing
|Price||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
5 Best Gym Bags for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai Reviews
The Fairtex Gym bag is made of durable nylon satin and is one of the best gym bags on the market. It comes equipped with multiple compartments for gym gears for sports like boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, and has smaller pockets for mobile phones and headphones. The material is waterproof, and therefore can easily store wet workout clothes.
This gym bag is made up of premium quality nylon that lasts long and is waterproof. The base is highly durable and resists wear and tear from rough usage.
There are multiple compartments and spacious sections for heavy gear like gi, belts, towels, slippers, and smaller pockets for mobile phones and headphones. There is also a wet cloth compartment, and two extra mesh bags. The bottom of the bag also has a separate compartment that unzips from the exterior. The handles are strong and equipped with a detachable shoulder strap.
- Premium quality material
- Sturdy base
- Pocket for wet clothes
- Mesh that accommodates water bottle
- Detachable shoulder straps
- The zips break off too easily
- A bit expensive
This gym bag for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai by Fairtex is spacious enough to fit the full gear for any sports and still has extra space leftover. The wet clothes compartment is an added advantage that isn’t easily found in many gym bags. The product is highly durable and holds up well against rough daily use.
Why did we decide to put this Boxing Glove in the #1 Position?
Although the price for the product is considerably high, it’s worth it for all the advantages it holds over other gym bags. The Fairtex gym bag has stellar reviews from most of its users. With its durability, spacious pockets, and attractive design, it has fairly earned the highest position on this list.
Especially made keeping in mind the requirements of BJJ training, this gym backpack comes with BJJ-specific features like a waterproof gi pocket and inner belt pouch. Gold BJJ is one of the best-known brands for BJJ gear & equipment, and they guarantee a hundred percent customer satisfaction or a full refund for this product.
Designed by Jiu-Jitsu athletes, this gym bag caters to every requirement of a BJJ trainer. It comes with separate waterproof pockets where you can store your dirty gi or rashguard. It is also germ and stink-free.
It is a spacious bag with enough room for one set of training gear and workout clothes. The gym bag consists of a separate pouch that carries the sacred BJJ belt. The Gold BJJ backpack is manufactured from high-quality nylon that doesn’t tear easily. It also comes with heavy-duty zippers that last long-term. Separate velvet-lined pockets for items like mobile phones and headphones ensure no scratches come upon your valuables.
- High-grade nylon and reinforced material
- Enough space and compartments to comfortably lodge one set of BJJ gear
- Scratch-free pouch for mobile phone and sunglasses
- Waterproof and smell-proof pouch for wet & dirty clothes
- Loose straps
- Gi pouch holder is too small for a folded gi
The Gold BJJ backpack is highly durable and one of the best options for BJJ trainers. The separate compartments and pouches to store different items are appreciated by the users.
Longevity Gear Mesh Bag is designed using polyester and backed with vinyl lining to keep your gear safe from moisture. It’s a versatile gym bag that can be used by men, women, and teens who engage in various sports like MMA, CrossFit, BJJ, swimming, and boxing. With its spacious design, sturdy material, dual handle, and shoulder carry, this bag is the most affordable option on this list.
- As the name suggests, this duffle bag comes with a ventilated mesh that prevents your gear from marinating in sweat or moisture. The gym bag is manufactured from 600D polyester with an extra vinyl backing that increases its lifespan. The extra backing also makes the bag sturdier and crumple-free. Due to the superior quality, your wet clothes can dry off inside the bag and don’t get stinky.
- It’s a spacious gym bag that can easily store all your training gear, workout clothes, and shoes, and still gives a lightweight feel. The bag has two top handles for easy handling as well as shoulder straps that make it easier to carry when your hands are tired. The versatility of the bag makes it usable by people of every age that are involved in various kinds of sports.
- The ventilated mesh keeps moisture and smell at bay
- Sturdy and strong nylon backing
- Two handles with a shoulder strap ensure that they don’t break easily
- No separate compartment for water bottle
- No pouch for mobile phones or other accessories
This gym bag has a strong build with extra backing that can carry a lot of equipment without sagging and is built for rough usage. If you’re looking for a moderately-sized gym bag that has all the essential features and doesn’t put a dent in your pocket, the Longevity duffle bag is the perfect fit.
This duffle bag from Meister comes in two different sizes that serve all your purposes, whether you want an extra-large bag for carrying your boxing gloves, Thai pads, a yoga mat or a foam roller, or a classic-sized bag that carries all your gear and can still fit in a gym locker.
- Available in two sizes, this is an extra-large gym bag that can fit all your gym gear, clothes, shoes, and more easily. It also has a classic size that can hold one set of gear and clothing, and can easily fit in a gym locker.
- The pores in the chain mesh extricate moisture from your sweaty clothes and ensure that it stays odorless and clean. It also isn’t see-through and therefore protects your privacy.
- The gym bag comes with double layering that ensures longevity and durability. The duffles come with two side zipper compartments to carry extra accessories. The bag has strong handles that support and shape the bag when it is full of gear.
- A breathable bag keeps your stuff odor-free
- Strong handles for support
- Extra side zipper pouches
- Incredibly lightweight
- Zipper falls apart soon
- No shoulder cushions on the strap and therefore uncomfortable
If you want a breathable mesh gym bag but hate having your belongings on display, this is the right product for you. This duffle has a sturdy build and is spacious, but it can put a strain on shoulders if you have to walk a long distance.
This versatile gym bag can be used as a sports gym bag, dance bag, basketball bag, carry-on luggage as well as airplane duffle. It has multiple compartments that don’t just store all your things but also keep them segregated. The Canway sports gym bag has a compact design and looks quite fashionable.
- The duffle bag has one spacious compartment for your larger equipment, and eight other pockets to store shoes, wet clothing, a water bottle, protein shaker, and toiletries. The bag is made from waterproof and tear-resistant polyester with reinforced steel zippers that are long-lasting. The grip handles on this bag are padded for extra comfort and adjustable. It also has a removable shoulder strap buckle. One of the pockets is specifically built for wet clothes, and the bottom leather is water-proof as well.
- It has extra features like a built-in key ring and side hooks that solve your problems of storing keys and hanging the bag. You can use the bag as a sports gym bag, dance bag, basketball bag, carry-on luggage as well, and airplane duffle. It is also available in 5 different colors: blue, black, gray, orange and red.
- Multiple compartments
- Built-in key ring and side hook to hang it in the locker room
- Comfortable handle and shoulder strap
- Made from waterproof material
- Zippers break off easily
- Material not as strong as the description implies
- Stitching gets torn apart
Although this bag is small enough to fit easily in your locker, the extra compartments make it spacious. The key-ring and hook are an added benefit that’s uncommon in gym bags. The bag doesn’t last for years but is quite good for its price range.
Best Gym Bags for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai: Buying Guide
Buying a gym bag requires a lot of consideration. An ideal gym bag will fit all your training equipment, be comfortable to carry, and leave some extra space for spare clothing.
The kind of sports you engage in determines the bag most suitable for you. A BJJ trainer, for example, requires smaller spaces for their Gi, mouth guard, and groin protection gear. On the other hand, Muay Thai gears occupy a larger space and therefore will need a bigger bag.
This buying guide explains in detail every aspect of buying a gym bag. If you’re confused about which gym bag you should go for, keep reading.
The foremost choice you face before buying a gym bag is the type of bag you should go for. Generally, the distinction is between duffle bags and backpacks. However, recently a new type of bag has come into play called hybrid bags.
Duffle bags are more advantageous over backpacks as they are more spacious. They also usually come with separate compartments to stash your gears that make it easier to access them.
However, due to their one-sided straps, they might put a strain on your shoulders. If you walk a long distance while going to your gym, then it’s not a plausible option. In case it’s a short walk or drive, then you should opt for duffle bags.
Backpacks are well-suited for people who need to commute long distances on foot. They maintain a balanced weight on your shoulders and provide a good posture. Due to their flexibility, they can also be used for purposes other than carrying gym gear. They also have various compartments to store your equipment in.
The disadvantage is that the gear at the bottom of backpacks isn’t nearly as easily accessible as they are in duffle bags.
A hybrid bag is a backpack that can be converted into duffle bags. This recent discovery provides you the best of both worlds.
You can easily store equipment as you’d do in a duffle bag. Instead of one, here you get two straps that maintain your balance and don’t put much strain on any one shoulder. Hybrid bags are also quite spacious. However, they are expensive in comparison to the other two types. But the amenities you get make it worth the price.
Since the purpose of your gym bag is to store your MMA, BJJ, or Muay Thai workout gear, it’s imperative to consider the internal space before purchasing the bag. There is no need to buy a bag that doesn’t comfortably carry all your equipment.
Since duffle bags are more spacious, an MMA or Muay Thai trainer who needs to carry boxing gloves, shin guards, helmets, and other gear should go for them. On the other hand, a BJJ trainer needs to carry less equipment and should go for backpacks or smaller duffel bags.
Do not buy spacious bags if you’ve minimal equipment since it becomes cumbersome and folds on itself. As a result, the bag becomes harder to carry. Similarly, you cannot buy a smaller bag if you’ve to carry larger or more gear.
It’s necessary for your gym bag to have the right compartments. An ideal gym bag has enough compartments to make your gear easy to access. Some bags even come with separate spaces for clothes, shoes, and water bottles. Here are some compartments you should look for in your gym bag for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai:
If you want to buy the best gym bag for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai, consider all equipment you need to store and make sure your bag can assort them for easy accessibility.
Cellphone and Accessories:
Nowadays, bags carry special pockets to store your keys, wallet, and cellphone, with a special water-resistant quality that ensures that your phone doesn’t get scratched or come in contact with water.
Many sports shoes aren’t ideal for traveling. You might want to have a gym bag that provides an extra compartment for your sports shoes so that you don’t have to commute in them.
Everyone doesn’t like to wear their workout clothes outside of the gym. If you’re such a person, you might need a pocket to store your clothes.
Mixing your water bottle with your gear makes it difficult to retrieve it promptly. Having a water bottle pocket in your gym bag is always a plus.
Be selective about your individual needs when buying a gym bag.
Gym Bag Material
Unlike yoga or weight training bags that only need to carry a set of clothes, and are made of flimsy material, your gym bag for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai should be durable and reliable. If the material isn’t enduring, it might end up tearing while carrying your heavy and bulky oddly-shaped gear.
Here are some gym bag materials that you can choose from:
Nylon is the cheapest material on this list, and is also quite popular in gym bags. It’s also lightweight, so you don’t have to carry an extra weight along with your gear. However, nylon doesn’t have good durability.
Most gym bags you’ll come across are made from polyester. Although it’s considerably heavy, polyester lasts longer and is easily cleanable. It is also water-resistant, which is an added benefit if you need to carry wet gym clothes. The disadvantage of a polyester gym bag is that it doesn’t let air pass, and can get bacterial infections. You need to clean it regularly.
It’s one of the fancy-looking materials that everybody loves. A quality leather gym bag can be quite durable. However, it’s susceptible to odor & stain and is generally expensive.
Vinyl or synthetic is a quite cheap alternative material for gym bags. It’s also stain-resistant and durable. But vinyl can be susceptible to scratches with minimal friction.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Can I Use a Backpack As a Gym Bag?
Backpack-style gym bags are a good option for you if you commute on foot a lot. They have compartments that make storage easier.
How Should I Organize My Gym Bag?
To organize your gym bag properly, you must:
- Only include things that you require
- Put every item in its proper place. If you carry toiletries, place them in a separate bag so that they aren’t all mixed.
- Take sweaty and dirty gym wear out of your bag as soon as possible
- Regularly clean and organize your gym bag
Are Duffle Bags Bad For Your Back?
If you walk a long distance to and from your gym, duffle bags with their singular strap may put a strain on one shoulder. This can lead to posture problems and body aches. However, duffle bags are perfectly suited for you if you have a short walking distance or driving facilities.
How Do I Choose a Gym Bag?
Your ideal gym bag must have enough space and compartments to carry a water bottle, cellphone, keys, and all your gym equipment. It shouldn’t put stress on your back while carrying. The material of your gym bag should be easily cleanable and durable.
Can a Gym Bag be a Carry-On?
If your gym bag meets the airlines’ criteria for size, then it can be used as a carry-on.
What Should Every Gym Bag have?
Your gym bags should carry a water bottle, spare clothes, headphones, sports shoes, toiletries, and all the workout gear you need for your sports.
What are Gym Bags Made of?
Gym bags can be made of nylon, polyester, leather, or synthetic vinyl.
Which Material for a Gym Bag is Waterproof?
Nylon, Polyester, and vinyl are all waterproof materials from which gym bags can be made.
Is a Duffel Bag Better For the Gym or Backpack?
Both duffel bags and backpacks have their pros and cons as gym bags. Duffel bags are more spacious, whereas backpacks have more compartments and are good for posture.
Are there Different Gym bags for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai?
The only difference in gym bags for MMA, BJJ, and Muay Thai is their storage capabilities. Gym bags for MMA have special gear like a mouthguard, hand wraps, etc., and therefore need extra compartments whereas gym bags for BJJ don’t.
What Size Gym bag Should I Buy?
It depends on the sport you engage in. Different sports require different gear, and so the size of the bag should be according to the space your gear requires.