Available in almost every gym, ellipticals are a staple for cardio exercises and very popular among casual and devoted gym members. There is something exciting about ellipticals: they seem user-friendly and inviting from afar. You just need to plant your feet on the pedals, grab its handles and get moving.
Ellipticals are very smooth and spare your body from violent impacts. Their design helps prevent injuries and allows users to maintain their workout routines. But it is also true that having an elliptical may require a lot of space at your home.
But what if we tell you that you can save space by setting up a folding elliptical? It will allow you to reach your fitness goals without taking up a lot of space. We have curated a list of the best folding ellipticals after reviewing a lot of products and consulting professional trainers. Read on to know more.
Our Top 3 Picks:
3 Best Folding Ellipticals Reviewed
Take a detailed look at the best folding ellipticals. Check out their pros and cons along with the final verdict to make the right decision.
The elliptical trainer by NordicTrack is advanced in all aspects. First of all, we really like how it looks. It has a very stylish and elegant look. It also features a 5-inch backlit display so that you can view your important workout stats. It also has an integrated workout fan with multiple speed settings that helps you to stay cool and motivated. Let’s check out its features in detail.
- The elliptical is engineered with an innovative folding design and comes with a 30-day free iFit trial membership that you can easily access on your smartphone or tablet. All you need to do is to link your device to the elliptical through a Bluetooth connection and enjoy the convenience of interactive Studio Classes and Global Workouts. Also, when you aren’t using the machine, fold it vertically for compact storage that takes up less space and enhances your living area.
- The elliptical also features automatic trainer control. It automatically adjusts the elliptical through 22 digital levels of resistance for optimal performance. It looks premium and sturdy, and also has an easy-to-read display where you can view your vital workout stats. Now enjoy enhanced metrics tracking in the iFit app on the 5″ backlit display.
- It has a workout fan that features multiple speed settings. The fan helps you stay cool and motivated as you work out from the comfort of your home.
- Folding space-saver design
- 5″ backlit display
- Has a CoolAire workout fan
- Has an automatic trainer control
- May be noisy
Overall, the elliptical is sturdy, stylish, and easy to assemble. It has an easy-to-read display and a workout fan that keeps you cool throughout the workout. Besides, it has upper body grips to provide a complete workout experience. It also has a massive 325-pound weight capacity and is backed by a 10-year frame warranty and two-year parts warranty. Go for it if you are looking for a power-packed elliptical with sturdy construction and exciting features.
Why did we Decide to Put it in the #1 Position?
The elliptical by NordicTrack store allows interactive personal training. It has a premium, stylish look and comes with interesting features. In addition, the elliptical has a 5″ backlit display, 22 resistance levels, and a vertical space-saver design. Plus, it offers a massive 10-year frame warranty. It is truly a great, commercial quality machine.
The elliptical machine by Sunny Health & Fitness provides an aerobic workout, giving all the benefits of stretching, walking, running, skiing, cross country, and aerobic dancing without causing any damaging movements to your body. Let’s have a look at what features the machine has to offer!
- The elliptical features non-slip pedals that help simulate a slow walk or work up to a full run while helping to maintain a continuous motion capability. Besides, the machine can support up to 220 lbs and has a 45-inch stride length. The elliptical also features a slim foldable design that allows you to save space and makes you place the product virtually anywhere.
- This air walker exercise machine targets your arm muscles as well as leg muscles. While maintaining an upright position on the elliptical, the abdominal muscles work towards stabilizing muscles, enhancing your stability and endurance.
- In addition, the elliptical has an informative LCD display that displays count, time, total distance, and calories. The elliptical also has ergonomic handlebars, which allow you to push and pull to increase the stride’s momentum. And with this machine, you can stride in comfort by placing the adjustable cushion in the most suitable position for you.
- Non-slip pedals
- Supports up to 220 lbs
- Informative LCD monitor
- Features an adjustable abdominal cushion
- Allows simple storage with foldable design
- Does not have resistance
If you are looking for something basic to reach your fitness goals, go with this one. It will hardly take any time to assemble it up. The elliptical is compact and one of the best options for a smaller space. Its LCD monitor makes it easy to track important information. The product is best for a gentle stroll that uses your whole body.
Also Read: Best Under Desk Ellipticals
The elliptical by ProForm is one of the best options you’ll come across for your fitness needs. This equipment helps to transform your training into a complete body experience. Here’s what the brand has to offer!
- Primarily, we like the vertical SpaceSaver design of the elliptical that makes it easy to set up anywhere at home. Secondly, assembling will never be a problem. It is effortless to assemble and won’t take much of your time.
- The elliptical can support up to 325 lbs, which allows people of all sizes to use it. And if you’re looking for fitness at your fingertips, nothing’s better than the ProForm 895. Its 7-inch smart HD touchscreen connects you to whatever and wherever. It makes it easy to check on workout stats, and you can also watch an iFit coach trainer while working out.
- The elliptical machine allows you to take your workout across the world and experience hiking in the Swiss Alps to running on the sun-kissed beaches of Hawaii. The incline matching technology automatically adjusts the speed and incline to mimic different terrains. This way, you can target quads, glutes, and calves for a realistic training experience.
- And experiencing sun-kissed beaches doesn’t actually mean that you’ll have to tolerate heat. This elliptical keeps you cool with its built-in fan that features two-speed settings. Most importantly, this machine won’t take much space in your house. It folds up easily, so you don’t have to sacrifice your home space.
- The elliptical features 24 resistance levels which are smooth, frictionless, and silent, thanks to the Silent Magnetic Resistance.
- Built-in fan
- 24 resistance levels
- 18-inch stride length
- 7-inch full-color display
- Supports up to 325 lbs
- Does not have Bluetooth
All in all, it is a great elliptical with advanced features. The incline adjustment and resistance features are absolutely amazing and add variety to your workout. Pedaling is very smooth and assembling the machine is super easy. While the display is smaller, it is easy to follow. Go for it if you want to add adventure to your everyday workout.
Best Folding Ellipticals: Buying Guide
Searching for an elliptical will never be a problem because you’ll get a lot of options in the market. But do you know what to look for in an elliptical? Do you have the space to fit it in your house or home gym? These are some of the things to look for when buying an elliptical. Let’s take a detailed look at the factors involved in buying the best folding elliptical trainer.
This is, of course, the primary thing to keep in mind. In fact, for most people, money is the biggest factor when buying equipment. Elliptical trainers come at different prices, but be ready to spend somewhere between $200-$5000.
You can surely find inexpensive models, but then you will not get premium quality. Make sure to consider your workout needs and body type. If you have a small build and don’t use the machine regularly, a smaller elliptical will be sufficient. On the contrary, if you have a larger build, you need a more sturdy machine.
Let’s be honest. Elliptical machines can be quite big and range between 4–7 feet in length. You will also need room for the pedals. For some ellipticals, you will be able to extend the foot behind the mainframe.
If you don’t have a lot of space, consider opting for foldable ellipticals. This will save storage space and make it portable.
This is one feature that makes an elliptical a true cross-trainer. The adjustable incline helps to vary the focus on muscle groups and provides a great way to add variety to the routine. This feature is worth having as it reduces boredom and makes the workout challenging.
The next thing to look for is adjustable resistance. It makes the workout very easy at the lowest setting and brings a noticeable level of difficulty at each level. This helps you to gain endurance and strength.
When buying an elliptical, make sure that its pedals move smoothly without much noise. The motion shouldn’t be jerky and should fit you well so that you’re comfortable throughout the movement.
Some machines offer low stride strength, which is too short for a person of average size. Look for an elliptical with at least a stride length of 21 inches. Also, some ellipticals have adjustable stride length, which is a great feature if multiple people will use the elliptical.
Now you don’t want to create havoc and disturb people while working out. The best thing to do here is to look for ellipticals with a quiet operation. A well-designed elliptical will be relatively silent at all intensity levels.
Upper Body Movement:
Some ellipticals have upper-body levers to add an element for an upper-body workout. When not strength training, the elliptical helps accomplish some upper-body strengthening. Just make sure that when buying an elliptical, both the upper body and lower body movement are smooth. You shouldn’t have to lean to complete the range of motion or compromise your position.
Besides everything else, you need to focus on making your workout effective and safe. For this, look for ellipticals with safety features such as handrails that provide balance. Additionally, the machine should have an easy-to-read console to know how hard you are actually working.
This is the fun section as your elliptical machine can have all types of additional features. While some ellipticals help with the workout, others make it more enjoyable. For example, having a water bottle holder will keep you hydrated during a workout, while a phone/tablet holder will keep you entertained.
A heart rate monitor is another excellent feature to consider. Some machines will come with pre-set programs, and spending more will always provide more features.
You can also find ellipticals with features like a fitness tracker app or wi-fi. Keep in mind, the more features you want, the more you’ll have to spend. Yet, if additional features keep you on track and enhance motivation, it is worth spending more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does an Elliptical Help Lose Belly Fat?
Ellipticals work on both the upper and lower body. When more of your muscles are being worked, you’ll burn calories. Precisely, the faster you pedal, the more calories you burn, hence losing more belly fat.
Is Using an Elliptical Better than Walking?
Elliptical machines and treadmills are easier on the joints. On the other hand, walking or running may offer a varied terrain. An elliptical provides an uninterrupted circular motion, allowing for an impact-free workout. This is especially helpful for people with ankle, knee, hip, or lower back injuries.
Are Small and Compact Ellipticals Effective?
Compact ellipticals are definitely effective. They provide the same benefits as any large elliptical and sometimes have more advanced features.
Do Elliptical Machines Fold Up?
Yes, of course, they do! With the advancement of technology and increasing consumer needs, many brands have come up with folding ellipticals to save space. The main purpose of folding ellipticals is to offer a similar workout experience with a more compact design.
Can an Elliptical Cause Ankle Pain?
An elliptical provides great low-impact exercise for people experiencing chronic back, hip, knee, and ankle problems. Although an elliptical is a great way to exercise cardio, it can cause discomfort for some users. You may feel numbness or feeling of burning after prolonged use.