Gone are the days when one’s fitness and attainment of body weight goals were subject to one’s actual body weight. With the advancement in technology and new scientific insights, the amount of fat on one’s body is now becoming an important metric in determining an individual’s fitness level.
It is now possible for you to have high body weight, but for you to be healthy; it is also possible for you to have a low body weight but be unhealthy and unfit – all of this owing to the amount of body fat you have.
Fat calipers are the tools that determine your body’s fat composition. The composition then indicates whether you are on the right track to your fitness goals or if you are still miles away.
With so many fat calipers in the market today, you can easily get confused in deciding which one to choose. We have, therefore, compiled this review to help you identify the best choices to consider. We have done a lot of research on each, and therefore you can trust this review to help you choose the best body fat caliper.
Our Top 3 Picks:
|Lange Skin Caliper with a Calibration Block||Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper||Medca Body Fat Caliper and Measuring Tape|
|Pros|| Great Build Quality
Features a Bonus Calibration Block
| Gives Accurate Readings
Comes with a Bonus Measuring Tape
|Price||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE||CHECK PRICE|
5 Best Body Fat Monitors
The Lange brand of body calipers has grown in popularity over the past few years, and they are now the favorite among most fitness enthusiasts and fitness professionals. The majority of the people who have used the product have praised it for its quality, accuracy, and ease of use.
One of the major reasons why these calipers stand out from the rest is their proper construction and sturdiness. Lange – the manufacturer – left no stone unturned in creating this caliper, including a very nice protective case for you to safely store it when not in use.
If you take good care of it, this is a caliper that will serve you for decades to come, as long as you are conscious of your health and fitness.
- The overall quality is already a stand-out feature from the bulk you will find in the market today. However, in addition to the well-designed case, you will love the calibration block that has been done in an intuitive and easy-to-read manner. With it, you won’t doubt the readings you will get of your body fat measurement.
- Also, the accuracy of this body caliper is another feature worth talking about. As already observed, the calibration block is nicely designed to allow for precise readings without any possibility of errors from the equipment. It means that you will rarely get any wrong readings.
- The Lange Skin Caliper is also very easy to use. If you know how to clip anything in this world, then you already know how to use it.
- Great build quality
- Features a bonus calibration block
- Very good accuracy
- Handle colour might fade after years of repeated use
This body fat caliper may be slightly expensive, but it is worth every cent you spend on it. The beautiful design, the ease of use, and the gorgeous case it comes in are the reasons for it being the best-selling skinfold caliper in the market today. Investing in it will not bring you any disappointments.
Why we decided to put this Body Fat Caliper in the #1 Position?
Our main reasons for giving this caliper the top spot were its design, ease of use, high quality, additional extras it comes with, and the fact that it is the most preferred caliper by most professionals and fitness enthusiasts.
The Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper is one of the best high-end calipers in the store today. Though it is very popular within the shooting ranges, it is still a versatile piece that fitness enthusiasts will enjoy using just like the gun enthusiast. With the very high accuracy it records, this is a great choice if you know that you will be measuring more than just body fat.
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Calipers are very well-known for their appealing looks. The design features superior aesthetics, including a high-quality case that will keep the caliper safe when not in use.
- The construction features hardened steel. This is a subtle indication that if you take good care of it, it will serve you for decades to come.
- The overall design may not be suitable for skinfold measurement, but it will still give you very accurate readings when trying to find out your body fat composition.
- This is primarily a digital caliper with an LCD display to allow for quick and easy measurement and reading. It features both analog and electronic measuring aspects, all of which will be displayed on the LCD screen when in use.
- The inclusion of ruler-like markings along the scale further makes the device failsafe. Its main use is to help confirm the readings on the LCD.
- Also, the scale can be your last resort in case you are having any troubles with reading from the LCD. Rarely will the two give you a different reading.
- With the design, construction, and features of a high-end caliper, using it may be a bit scary. But this is not the truth. It is quite intuitive to use. So long as you can switch the digital display on and slide the clippers along with the rule, you are good to go.
- As a high-end body fat caliper, this is a solid choice and you can expect it to give you very good readings that help you towards the attainment of your fitness goals.
- Gives very accurate readings
- Excellent durability
- Highly versatile in applications
- Not the best for skinfold measuring
This may be the preferred caliper in the shooting ranges or among gun enthusiasts, but it will also serve you right if you want to know your body fat composition. You will without a doubt fall in love with its features and versatility.
If you are looking for an affordable and highly accurate body fat caliper, this is going to be a great purchase for you. It has a tasteful design with all the features you need to keep a close eye on your body fat, including a measuring tape.
With this, you get an accurate and consistent measurement for every body part whose fat profile you are interested in. Unlike most of the fat calipers that come as standalone equipment, the Medca Body Fat Caliper comes as a full set, with additional extras such as an instructional chart, body measuring tape, and a slide ruler.
- With this product, you get an easy and intuitive way to measure your body fat content to help you in your journey towards your fitness goals. Apart from the features, you are also going to love the ease of using this caliper. All you have to do is to pinch, click and read.
- The set features a ball socket and a slide ruler. To use it, all you have to do is slide the ruler to the right, get a pinch of the skinfold you would like to measure then gently squeeze the measuring jaw until you hear the ball socket clicks. Take the reading and voila! You are done.
- We know that you won’t be interested in this body caliper if it will not last you long. Luckily for you, this is not just a functional caliper, but also a durable one. It features hardened steel construction, and permanent calibration on the rule.
- The other feature you are going to love about this set is the inclusion of a body chart measurement chart. This is not usually included in most of the body fat caliper sets and most of the time, you need to find a chart elsewhere to help you make meaning of the readings that you will be getting.
- You will find this to be highly beneficial when you need to keep tabs on your progress since you have everything you need in one place.
- Comes with a bonus measuring tape
- Intuitive construction
- Slightly lower accuracy
If you are on a budget and you need a caliper that will get the job done, then you have a wonderful choice in this brand. It is cheap, but well equipped with the features you need to know about your body fat content, including a tape measure and a body fat percentage chart.
Also Read: Best Hand Grip Strengtheners
This is another highly accurate and relatively affordable body fat caliper. It’s black in color, has a solid construction, and is relatively easy to use. This caliper also comes with an instructional manual, which will help you know more about the results you will get.
- The caliper is primarily made of plastic material. This makes it lightweight and extremely comfortable when measuring body fat, especially skinfold.
- It is made of plastic and that may not inspire a lot of confidence as far as longevity is concerned. However, if you take good care of it, it will serve you for many more years to come. Its construction also features a spring on the arm. The purpose of this spring is to help the caliper maintain accurate measurements so that you don’t need any other digital assistance to get correct readings.
- Though the caliper is manual in the sense that it doesn’t feature any LCD or digital means for taking the readings, the inclusion of an instruction booklet with charts for both male and female fat percentages makes it one of the best skinfold calipers around.
- Easy to use
- High accuracy
- Not very durable
If accuracy, affordability, and durability are all you are looking for in a body fat caliper, then this will be your ideal choice. The construction is very simple, and with the inclusion of the dual spring calibration, you are assured of very accurate readings with this caliper.
Accu-Measure needs no introduction when it comes to the world of body fat calipers. This is because it is one of the most recognizable brands, besides being a universally recognized manufacturer of a variety of fitness accessories.
This portable body fat caliper is among their top high-quality products. Though it has no extra features or gimmicks to make it more appealing, it is very good at getting the job done. If you don’t want to be buying body fat calipers regularly, then you will want to invest in a durable one, and this is one of them.
- It features durable Delrin plastic – one of the strongest thermoplastic polymers by DuPont. With the ball-in-socket feature, you will find using this caliper quite easy and intuitive. When using it, as you pinch it on your skin, you will hear a distinctive click sound that tells you to stop pinching and take the reading. You can’t go wrong with the readings that you will be taking with it.
- Also included in the construction is a measurement slide that will precisely stop at your measurement. It means that you don’t have to take the reading immediately, but you can release it and take the reading when you are more comfortable.
- How you interpret the readings you get also matters a lot when you are using a body fat caliper. To your aid, this caliper includes an instructional booklet to help you better interpret the meaning of the reading that you get. This is very important as it will tell you whether or not you are on the right track towards achieving your body goals.
- Easy to use
- Includes instructional booklet
- Slightly uncomfortable to use
This may be the last, but definitely, not the least in our review. That it is a product of a reputable manufacturer should inspire confidence in those who will be buying it. Though slightly uncomfortable, the overall experience of using it is still superb.
Best Body Fat Caliper: Buying Guide
In addition to the above, it is also a good idea to know some of the things to look out for when shopping for the best body fact caliper. We have included this guide to empower you so that you can make an independent choice.
Read below to find out more about what you should be looking for when you go out shopping.
One of the considerations you need to make when choosing a pair of body fat calipers is the material of their construction.
Generally, the material will be an overall indication of the durability as well as the quality of the caliper. There are various caliper materials, but not all of them are durable and worthy of your consideration. The best calipers mostly feature glass and metal construction. They are exceptional and guaranteed to serve you for a long time if you take good care of them.
There are also others that are made of plastic or composites of plastics. These are not necessarily short-lasting, but they have shorter longevity compared to metal or glass counterparts. This is because you can find calipers made from high-grade plastic that may rival those made of metals.
Some calipers come with more features than others. It is not entirely true that the more features a caliper has, the better it is. Calipers are mainly used to pinch a portion of the skin and then measure the fat content in that area.
If it can do this, then it is sufficient. However, additional features may improve the experience and the versatility of using the caliper. Most of the calipers you will find in the market today will include charts to help you understand the meaning of your reading. Also, some are digital and have an LCD display, where you get to read the measurement.
If your budget can support the additional features you desire to have in your body caliper, then you should go for it. However, if you are on a tighter budget, the extra features may not be necessary. Perhaps, the only extra feature you need to care the most about is a suitable carrying bag.
If the body fat caliper you have invested in will not give you the right measurements, then it won’t be of any use to you. You should know that all the calipers in the market don’t have the same accuracy rate. While you consider this factor, you need to determine if the caliper can provide consistent measurements in the same body area.
However, this is not something you can know unless you buy it. To gauge the accuracy and the effectiveness of the caliper, check the calibration and the indicated accuracy. The smaller the accuracy of the calibration, the more precise the caliper.
Also, you need to take some time and go through the reviews submitted by past buyers. Those will help in shedding more light on the issue since there will be reports about their experiences with the calipers.
Ease of Use:
You don’t want to dread the moment you take your body fat reading simply because your caliper usually gives you a lot of problems when it comes to using it.
Taking body fat measurement should be a straightforward affair and the equipment you use should be very simple and easy to use. Don’t go for something complicated that you will have to fumble with a couple of times before you finally get the right reading.
You should choose a caliper whose units you are well versed with. For example, if you use the metric system in your country, don’t buy a caliper that is calibrated in the imperial system.
Knowing your body fat should not subject you to lots of unnecessary conversions when it is something you can always read in an instant.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQs
Here is a brief look at some of the frequently asked questions about body fat calipers:
Are calipers Accurate For Measuring Body Fat?
Over the last few years, calipers have emerged as an affordable and easy way to measure body fat. The accuracy of the results will depend on the skill of the person measuring the skinfold. However, there are always measurement errors to be expected. These range between 3.5% and 5% body fat.
How is the Body Fat Calculation Done with Calipers?
To calculate your body fat with the help of calipers, use the caliper to measure the thickness of the right side of your body. While holding the caliper perpendicularly to the skin fold, take the measurement halfway along the length of the fold. Note down the measurement, then use a body fat chart to determine the percentage of the body fat.
Can you use Body Fat Clippers Alone?
Yes, it is possible to use body fat calipers to measure your own body fat without the assistance of a third party. If, however, you feel that you are not getting accurate results on your own, then is it okay to seek help from another person.
What is a good body fat Percentage for a Normal Person?
For persons between 20 and 40 years old, a good body fat percentage is anywhere between 8% and 19%. Anything between 19% and 25% is considered overweight. For persons between the ages of 41 and 60 years old, anything between 11% and 22% is considered healthy and between 22% and 27% is considered overweight.
What skin Thickness do I Need to Pinch a Caliper?
Since most of the calipers usually measure between 50mm and 65mm of skin, the ideal skin thickness you need to use with a caliper is thicknesses of between 2 inches and 2.6inches.
Are body fat Calipers more Accurate than Scales?
The best body fat calipers are usually considered to be more accurate than body fat percentage scales. However, the results will usually vary greatly. It depends on the specific caliper and the skills of the person administering the test.
What are the best Skinfold sites that I should Consider using a Body Fat Caliper on?
The best skinfold sites for skinfold measurements include the thighs, the abdomen, and the chest.
At what Body fat will I Start seeing my Abs?
You should be able to see your abs if your body fat ranges between 6% and 17% for men. For women, you should visibly see your abs when you have body fat between 14% and 24%.
What are the Implications if you Can Pinch an Inch?
If you can pinch an inch, then it means that you have more than an inch of subcutaneous fat. It is usually the subcutaneous fat that you can see. Stored fat is mostly in the stomach area, and you accumulate them by consuming a lot of calories.