The first step for anyone who is serious about starting their Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu journey is to buy a gi, which is a uniform for training and necessary for BJJ. At first, choosing the right uniform among the sea of options can be overwhelming and confusing, but all you need to do is make sure that your gi fulfills all your requirements during the practice sessions or professional matches.
There are factors like size, color, shape, and material that one has to keep in mind while making the final purchase because splurging your money on the most expensive one makes no sense if you’re only taking your first step into this combat art.
After proper research about BJJ outfits or Kimino-Gi’s, and keeping expert opinions in mind, we have curated a list of the best 5 BJJ gi’s that will allow you to perform well in all aspects. To know what our study says, keep on reading!
Our Top 3 Picks:
5 Best BJJ Gi Reviewed
Gi is the first thing that you would want to buy after making your mind up for BJJ training. As a beginner, it may seem exciting to you but it’s definitely a daunting process. Therefore to make things simpler for you, we have come with 5 different gis that will be great if you are a beginner, or a pro player already. So, let’s dive into our list of best BJJ gi and see what all we have unfolded on our final list.
If you are ready to kick-start your Jiu-jitsu journey, then starting off with something as lightweight as the Gold BJJ Aeroweave Gi will be the best option for you. This ultra-lightweight gi feels like nothing on the body and soaks a ton of sweat, keeping you dry during heavy practice sessions and final matches. It is available in four clean colors and different size options, giving the wearer a chance to experiment with his overall look. Above all, the company guarantees the replacement or refund of your order in case you do not find it up to the mark, as mentioned on the website. Therefore, if you are looking for a good quality gi with clean aesthetics that will fit your body like a dream, then Gold BJJ Aeroweave Gi is the best pick for you.
- The Gold BJJ gi is extremely light to carry and is nearly bombproof from inside, making it a blessing in disguise for all trainers. During combat arts like Jiu-Jitsu, it is extremely important to choose a gi that is light in weight so that the weight of the uniform does not hamper the performance in any way. As compared to other gi’s, the Gold BJJ Aeroweave Gi features 275gsm that feels like air on the body.
- Thanks to its reinforced stitching, the product is strong and reliable when it comes to facing all the tricky and hard moves that you and your opponent are going to try on each other. These are specially made with breathable material that allows the wearer to give their best shot, soaking in all the sweat without you even noticing.
- The best thing that a company can do is to stand behind their products, claiming a 100% guarantee. The Gold BJJ Gi is backed by a very strong warranty, so in case you are not fully satisfied with your Gold Gi then you can replace or refund your product at any time without any questions asked.
- Available in four different colors
- Breathable material
- Long-lasting durability
- Backed by guarantee
- Bright colored Gi can seem loud and garish
This product has a long list of positives. From its outstanding quality to the color choices that the Gold BJJ Aeroweave Gi offers, this uniform is something you can’t say no to. If you are someone looking for a long-term investment for BJJ training, then this is a great choice to invest your money in.
Why did we Decide to Put it in the #1 Position?
The reason for putting the Gold BJJ Aeroweave Gi on the top of our list is not only the great quality but is also the heavy warranty that it is backed by. Furthermore, the gi is extremely comfortable to wear as it is more breathable than the traditional cotton pants that everyone swears by. Also, its reinforced stitching allows the wearer to practice tricky moves without getting it ripped from anywhere. Therefore, if you are planning to place your foot into the BJJ shoes for a longer period, then look into buying something that guarantees so many features as this does!
Also Read: Sanabul Essentials BJJ Gi Review
Suparaito, which means “super light” in Japanese, can be an ideal choice for you if you are already a pro player in the world of BJJ. As the name suggests, the Fuji Suparaito BJJ Gi is extremely lightweight and is just perfect for tournaments, giving the wearer an upper hand. The triple reinforced pants prevent any cuts or rips during heavy practice sessions or matches. To give it a more modern look, it comes with contrasting stitching on the jacket and pants and the Suparaito logo stitched on it.
- If you are looking for a Gi that allows you to give your 100% when you are in a serious competition, then Fuji Suparaito BJJ Gi is an ideal choice for you. It features a 350g pearl weave gi jacket that is perfect for advanced training sessions before and during your final match.
- If you are someone who is well-versed with the different techniques and hard moves performed during serious competition then rest assured as even Jiu-jitsu legends like Xande Riberio wear it in their matches. This modern design features a stiff rubber collar for better performance with contrasting stitching on the jacket and pants that prevents any kind of rips and tears during tricky moves. Also, it comes with the Suparaito logo on the jacket, skirt, and pants giving it a more trendy look.
- Lightweight jacket
- Triple reinforced
- Stylish look
- Stiff collar
- IBJJF, NABJJF, UAEJJF approved
- Available only in black color
If you are someone who has aced BJJ Jiu-Jitsu training and is now facing tough competitions regularly from their opponents, then Fuji Suparaito BJJ Gi is a great pick for you. It’s a mid-range product and features 5 stars on Amazon. It not only promises great quality but is a style statement too.
No matter whether you are taking your first step towards BJJ or you are a pro player already acing every move like a legend, the Tatami Fightwear Nova BJJ Gi is ideal for both beginners and experts alike. It is both unique and inexpensive as it features a collar that controls sweat and bacterial contamination. With no patches or embroidery other than the logo, the Tatami decided to keep it as simple as it can be. It offers multiple size options so you can pick one that fits your body like a glove.
- The last thing you should expect from your gi is to tear during practice sessions or final competition. So to protect you from getting embarrassed, the Tatami Fightwear is triple stitched across all stress points with double reinforced knee padding to provide maximum comfort during matches. Hence, they will lead you a long way.
- The High Tech Weave Jacket features a rubberish collar that soaks your sweat during intense activities, keeping everything dry and clean throughout the match. Also, it absorbs bacteria from your sweat. Also, with just the logo embroidered on the jacket, the Tatami Fightwear BJJ Gi is extremely simply designed. Therefore, if you are a competitor who likes minimalistic gi designs, then try your hands on the Tatami ones – you will love it!
- Extra padding on stress points
- Prevents sweat and bacteria
- Free white belt
- Heavyweight gi
If you are on a budget and looking for a high-quality gi that will stay with you from start to end, then Tatami Fightwear Nova Minimo 2.0 is an ideal choice. Made with the finest quality material, this product will help you win even the toughest matches of your life.
Also Read: Best BJJ Belts
The Fuji Submit Everyone Gi is made with extremely lightweight fabric that is an ideal uniform for both trainees and competitors. Also, it comes with reinforced stitching to prevent any kind of rips during practice sessions. Therefore, if you are looking for a gi that motivates you to perform better, then Fuji Submit Gi is the ultimate option for you.
- This ultra-lightweight jacket is just perfect for your heavy training and tough competitions. It helps the wearer perform better, and the stiff collars absorb all that sweat you can produce during intense and heavy practice sessions.
- Everyone wants a gi that stays with them for all their matches without getting cuts or rips. The Fuji Submit Gi comes with triple reinforced that prevents any kind of rips during intense activities. It also features a 350g pearl weave jacket, which is perfect for summer training.
- Extremely lightweight
- IBJJF, NABJJF, UAEJJF approved
- Only few basic colors available
This product tick marks all the boxes needed to be called a great BJJ gi for trainees as well as the professional competitors. If you are ready to pay a little extra for the quality that they offer, then it’s the best product in the market available right now. It is also one of the favorites of its customers, with almost no negative reviews!
If you’re a competitor who likes to stand out in the crowd because of your gi choices, then Tatami Fightwear Plus BJJ Gi is most probably the perfect choice for you. The Tatami Fightwear comes with a free white belt and features grey stitching all over the gi. So, if you love making statements with your fashion choices, and of course, with your deadly moves, go for Tatami Fightwear Plus BJJ Gi!
- With grey contrasting stitching in colors like blue, black, and white, this gi will be the first and foremost reason you turn heads even before you start showing your moves. It features a rubberized collar that absorbs maximum sweat (because no one likes to stink!). To make it more durable, it comes with a triple stitch on all the stress points so that you can perform the hardest move without any fear of rips or tears. It also has double padding on the knees that will allow you to get comfortable and ultimately result in better performance.
- Quality build
- Unique design
- Triple stitched
- Available in fewer sizes
If you want to impress the crowd with your gi before you bust out your tricky moves, then the Tatami Fightwear is an ideal choice for you. They are available in 3 different colors with gray contrasting stitching on all of them. Also, this is a high-quality product to wear during your training and actual competitions.
Also Read: Best BJJ Gi’s for Women
Best BJJ Gi: Buying Guide
When you first look for BJJ Gis, there are high chances that you will get confused by witnessing the number of brands, colors, sizes, and shapes they come in. However, it’s important to make sure that you are not splurging your hard-earned money on something that is of no use. Before making your mind up over a particular gi, make sure it is fulfilling the following requirements:
The color of your gi plays a very important role in your BJJ journey. Although the traditional gi color is white, companies have now introduced different colors like blue and black to give it a more attractive look. Earlier, white was the only color that was approved when you were getting ready for serious competition or rolling on the mat. However, with changing times, International Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF) has approved blue, and black gi as well. Before making your color choices, make sure to get approval from your instructor as some do not allow non-traditional colors.
Another important thing that you should not mess up while making your final choice is the size of your gi. When you first start to look for different gis, it can be intimidating to figure out the “A” size system. However, it’s not as hard as it appears to be. Imagine rolling on the mat wearing a gi that is not of your size: believe us, it’s the worst choice you can make. While picking your Gi, make sure it’s not too tight and that it doesn’t restrict your moves, or is not too loose so as to slip off your body during practice sessions or the main match. Another important thing that one should keep in mind is to check whether your gi has been “pre-shrunk” or “shrunk to fit”.
If you are a newcomer or are not sure whether you want to continue BJJ for the rest of your life,, it’s always recommended to start off with inexpensive uniforms rather than splurging your money on something you aren’t 100% about. While purchasing your first gi, make sure to keep it under $100 so that you are not guilty too about it, and if you are already a pro player, then the price should not matter much to you. Also, while making your final purchase, make sure to keep quality on a higher priority than the price of the product.
There are uncountable numbers of brands in the market that offer great quality gi. Similarly, there are different styles of weaves that you can choose from. The one that is the most basic and inexpensive offers a single weave. Therefore, if you are just entering the world of BJJ or live in extremely hot weather conditions, then a single weave kit will work well enough for you.
If you are looking for a gi that will last you a long time, then a double-weave gi will work wonders. It is much more long-lasting as compared to a single weave and isn’t too expensive either.
If you are not getting the expected results from both single-weave and double-weave, then try your hands on gold weave ones. They are much more durable and strong, yet are light-weight too. Therefore, if you are planning to invest your money in something that will stay forever with you, then go for gold weave ones.
Most BJJ Gi comes with a collar either filled with cotton or of rubberized material. Though the rubber ones are the most hyped, the experienced players actually recommend the cotton ones as they are much more comfortable on the neck. Rubber collars can actually be sometimes restrictive during your intense practice sessions but they are great to soak sweat and for bacteria absorption. So if you are looking for Gi, make a wise choice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Color BJJ Gi Should I Get?
If you are in search of the perfect Gi for you then remember not to go too wild when it comes to colors as there are high chances that your instructor will not allow it during serious competitions. Instead, go for either white, black, or blue as they are approved by International Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu Federation (IBJJF).
How Much Should an Average Gi Cost?
With so many brands all over the market, the cost of Gi varies from one another. If you are looking for an average gi, then it will cost you approximately $100-$150.
What Are the Best Gi Brands?
There are numerous brands offering some of the best special features. Here are a few that top the list, in case you really want to name them: Fuji, Tatami, and Kingz.